- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Part of a new installation to the Reviews will now be quick reviews aka “Jimmy’s Quickies!”
Quick Review: Tekken 7 (PS4)
For those of you that are not familiar with the Tekken Franchise, welcome! Tekken is an originally an arcade fighter that features a unique mix of 2D fighting (you face your opponent in a linear fashion) mixed with 3D elements - That has not exactly changed in Tekken 7, although many other things have!
Pros:
- A unique fighting experience with enhanced graphics
- Bountiful character roster of 38 characters
- New dynamic combat mode including “Rage”
- Treasure Hunter mode
- In depth story mode with additional side character stories
- Jammin’ soundtrack
Somewhere In The Middle:
- Side character stories consist of 1 battle
- AI difficulty seems to vary per match, for better or worse
Cons:
- Some lingering load times
- Old fans may not appreciate the revamped combat system
- (Not applicable to review) Online mode stability issues
My Thoughts:
Tekken 7 is a fighter, as you would expect - these games can appeal to different types of gamers, some who want to go competitive and others who just want to enjoy the experience. I see this game applying to the vast majority of both audiences. Through my enjoyable time with Tekken 7, I have felt an old feeling that I had thought perished with Tekken, and that was the heat of combat. The story mode in particular, had me in many adrenaline filled moments. The exchange of blows can be felt through the screen, as slow down moments occur when an final blow is being dealt between two fighters, giving you the moment of watching whose hit will first connect - these moments in Tekken 7 felt welcomed and necessary as it no longer leaves the question “How did you hit me before I was able to finish you?!”
Rage mode is a new additional that allows you to deal a fatal attack to your opponent if you have lost a significant amount of health. Rage attack can easily be used with the tap of R1, this makes them efficient and easily able to time if you are in a pinch, quickly turning the match into your favor - or your opponents, adding a new layer of strategy to the battle.
Tekken 7 has been everything I wanted, although no sight of tag attack mode, missing other things like endless battle mode, and minigames (some things I myself appreciated in the series) It does not leave me with any feelings of remorse as this fighting game is one of the best I have ever played. If you have yet to experience Tekken 7, I highly suggest you rent it or try it at a friends, do a few battles, you’ll be doing yourself a favor as what unfolds feels almost cinematic.
I cannot speak for online mode as I do not generally base my reviews from online gameplay, as each person has various experiences, however for the core experience, Tekken 7 gets my utmost respect. With a new story mode featuring explanation behind the entire Franchise, adding a few additional hours of gameplay, and a plethora of side character stories, this game will give you enough to satisfy your 2D-3D fighting hunger.
FINAL SCORE: 9/10
Popular Posts
Life Is Strange Review (Spoiler Free)
Life can be very strange, indeed. Introduction: Life Is Strange is about a student named Max Caulfield, whom recently has moved back to Oregon to a private High School for her final year, known as Blackwell Academy. The premise of the game is focused on the second week of October, 2013. The town that you will become familiar with - Arcadia Bay, a quiet and small but year beautiful and charming in it’s own way. The game will quickly give you a sense of just what exactly is happening in this small town closely related to Max’s journey. Atmosphere and Charm: As soon as I started initially, I was ready to bash the game for it’s graphics. I held my reservations and trotted forward, soon to begin and realize that the game contained more of a “style” that I needed to get used to. Granted playing on the PS4 I always expect better, I quickly overcame the concept. Now? I couldn’t get enough. Arcadia Bay truly has something captivating about it, that almost makes me want ...
Detention (PC) Review
Detention is a 2D “ambient horror game” that puts you in the shoes of Ray, a Taiwanese student during the 1960’s Marshal Law period. The premise of the game starts mysteriously with a separate character who is important to the story before you do begin the main gameplay as Ray. Since this is a horror game I want to review the key elements that make a horror game successful. Although the game uses historical context, do not let that deter you as through most the game you are provided with enough information about the time period and Chinese lore. PLOT/STORY: Detention is a game that is chock full of historical events between the Chinese and Taiwanese - as the game progresses you find yourself discovering the main character’s struggle during the sensitive time period. Since the game is a HEAVY story based game, it is best to leave as much generalized for the viewer audience to be surprised. Story stays succulent and clear with lingering elements of “What could possibly happen next...
How the FFXIV Community Grew in 2017
Last year on Tuesday, August 30, 2016, I wrote an article about Final Fantasy XIV and the toxic fanbase during that time. Today, I’m writing to you about how that has changed. I want to formally retract from last years article as well as stand by it and explain what some transitions have occurred over the last year+ since I had played. Let it be known that I have been subscribed to FFXIV for 2 years+ and through all the time, I would definitely say the community has grown, and here’s why: New Jobs: This one may be obvious for some of you but Square Enix has been bringing new jobs to the game with every expansion. This seems to be the the drawing point of the series, and I speculate that SE will continue to add many more jobs as future expansions are released. This kept the crowd coming back from ARR, which was necessary. Higher Level Cap: Ding! Level 70! The raise in the level cap has made it so that casual or toxic players have a harder time reaching end game. Although...
Comments
Post a Comment